[Dev-luatex] Using UTF8 in PDF mode?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 13 00:56:21 CET 2006

Hans Hagen wrote:
> you can try to use active characters but better is to wait till open
> type support (and more advanced type 1 support) is available; the
> first usabla beta's are scheduled around eurotex (may 2007);
> keep in mind that luatex is *not* stable, under active development,
> and that we take the freedome to change every aspect of it; we plan to
> have stable versions available end-of-2007; implementing macro based
> solutions and expecting them to work in the future is kind of
> dangerous and esp upcoming versions will probably be broken in many
> aspects (esp when tex's font mechanisms are being replaced / extended)
> so, porting documents is not a good idea right now; also, till we have
> complete open type support and more, luatex is hardly a replacement
> for pdftex; if you are in a hurry with utf and latex is unsufficient,
> you may want to look into xetex
    Actually, as far as Unicode/UTF8 support goes pdftex and LaTeX are
sufficient.  The issue is more that they are lacking in the
programmability space.  However, given the May 2007 estimate on a beta
release, it may still be better for me to just get by the with existing
hacks around the problem.

    Thanks for the information!

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw at cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]