[Dev-luatex] Very simple sample?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Dec 6 18:45:15 CET 2006

Javier Bezos wrote:
> Another question:
>
> How can I read arbitrary TeX input? Or is this part
> still unfinished? Currently, LuaTeX only accepts
> UTF-8 input, right? But let's assume we have:

that is kind of impossible, unless you hook lua code in \arabic or let
\arabic insert info that then can be used while preprocesing the lines

preprocessing (at all levels of tex) is under development; by the end of
this year / begin next year i/o will be stable ; around eurotex open
type fonts + manipulation of fonts will be available
> ie, two input encodings in the same line. I don't still
> understand how encodings work.

luatex takes only utf, and if you want something else, one can recode
each input line using a call back function to do the recoding (or use an
external prog to preprocess the input), but mixed input encodings will
demand adaption of the macro's used for (eg arab)

pdftex 1.* will be the pdftex that deals with 8 bit input, pdftex 2.*
will be the utf variant ; user visible tex code for version 2.0+ quite
certainly will be different at the lower level