[Dev-luatex] plugin for external formatting

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Sep 20 13:01:23 CEST 2005

Hi Karel,

Karel Skoupý wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as Hans has already mentioned, my concern with luatex is to have some
> interface/protocol for formatting the TeX stuff externally.

>   .. [snip] ...

> At the moment, I don't remember anything else. I'm looking forward for your
> feedback.

It will take some time before I fully understand your post, but I want
to bring up something that Hans and I have talked about recently, namely
the addition of 'nodelist registers' analogous to \toks registers.

The idea was to have registers and read/write syntax to allow things
like this (rough ideas, api may change yet):

   \list0=\unhbox0            % now \list0 contains a node list
   \list1={Hello world!}      % now \list1 also contains a node list
   \list2={\hsize=12in }      % error: only node-building allowed

   \write16{\the\list0 }      % like \showlists, but using a fully
                              % restorable read syntax

   \hsize=2in \the\list0 \par % typeset the node list

   \noindent hello world!
   \list0=\lastlist           % gobbles the node list from this par
                              % before anything is done to it.

Cheers,

Taco