[Dev-luatex] FWD: \latelua

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Sep 15 12:47:48 CEST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [macleod at cvrti.utah.edu: changebar support for pdflatex]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:46:11 +0200
From: Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>
To: Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de>
CC: Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>
<432592A7.3000708 at wxs.nl>
<20050912154605.GG17097 at lucien.oneiros.kn-bremen.de>
<4325A568.3060300 at wxs.nl>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0509122047420.4490 at hahepc1.hahe>
<4325EA6B.9050206 at wxs.nl>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0509122330070.5143 at hahepc1.hahe>
<Pine.LNX.4.61.0509130002150.5327 at hahepc1.hahe>
<4325FF12.1070906 at wxs.nl> <Pine.LNX.4.61.0509140000590.16751 at hahepc1.hahe>

Hartmut Henkel wrote:

>Hi Hans and Taco,
>
>here's a first rough try on \latelua: It just creates a node like
>\pdfliteral, and the given program code is executed by lua during
>shipout. Output (if any) currently goes via print into the PDF.
>
>If we would get access to the position cur_h, cur_v valid at the point
>of lua call (Taco has this already?), we could then e. g. draw the
>changebars (and other random drawings on the page between previously
>marked points :-) with lua, single pass.
>
>All lua register changes are obviously available to "later" both \lua or
>\latelua calls...
>
>Currently the \latelua has the same options "page" and "direct" as
>\pdfliteral (because this happened by copying the code).
>
>Couldn't such a \latelua be removed if one would change \lua to
>\immediate\lua and \lua? Or is this something different?
>
>Sorry, still old system, no tex.print yet and the other fancy stuff from
>Taco.

interesting

i don't like the \immediate\lus thing, too texie -)

maybe better than \latelua is:

\lua otr {...}

since there can be more variants.

I also wonder ... how about

pdf.print.direct("...")
pdf.print.page("...")

(one can always say pdf.direct = pdf.print.direct)

this is more luaish, esp if we also have:

pdf.h (or pdf.x)
pdf.v (or pdf.y)

Interesting experiment