[dev-context] Different Versions of Manuals

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 1 23:07:44 CET 2020

On 3/1/2020 3:49 PM, Sebastian Miele wrote:
> The ConTeXt Excursion referenced from the garden and contained in the
> LMTX distribution say that they are from 2017-Oct-05. The version linked
> from http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm says it is from 1999-May-27.
>
> The ConTeXt reference manual linked from
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm is from 2001-Nov-12. The version
> referenced in the garden is from 2013-Sep-27. As of now, I did not find
> a version of the document in the distribution. Neither in ConTeXt LMTX,
> nor in ConTeXt Standalone.

The garden copies are kind of independent. Not updated often.

The website is largely the same as what is in the distribution but not
entirely. (Btw, most of the website is generated automatically along
with generating the current distribution zip.)

The website is a bit more archival in that sense. The old ref manual
(most of which still applies) has some chapters turned into what are now
separate manuals.

> In the following days I will start to use the most recent version of the
> two documents known to me.
>
> In the LMTX distribution: musings.pdf is from 2020-Jan-17, whereas
> musings.tex and musings-names.tex are from 2020-Feb-18.

Yes, I don't generate the main docs every time I fix a typo or add a
line (esp when it's not that fundamental).
> luametatex.pdf in LMTX is from Feb-18. In Standalone it is from Jan-30.
Sure, sometimes we update LMTX independent from the mkiv distribution.
I generate the luametatex manual (1) as a quick test and (2) to check if
I messed up performance.

Anyway, as the sources are distributed too one can always generate the
latest greatest.