[dev-context] Minor Problems in the LuaMetaTeX Manual

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 4 08:56:30 CET 2020

Hi,

> The Lua(Meta)TeX manuals talk about ghost nodes. I did not find any
> information on what that is. Up to now, for all other stuff encountered
> in the LuaMetaTeX manual that I did not know and wanted to have a rough
> idea of what it is about, I found the relevant information either in the
> LuaMetaTeX manual itself, in TeX by Topic, or in the ε-TeX manual. I.e.
> I found it using the LuaMetaTeX manual itself, or the manuals that were
> referenced at the beginning of chapter 1 of the LuaMetaTeX manual as
> important additional material.
>
> The Lua(Meta)TeX manual mentiones that \leftghost and \rightghost come
> from Aleph. I searched the web quite a bit about Omega and Aleph on that
> issue, and tried other things, but found nothing of relevance. There is
> a manual for Omega, but, after conversion from ps to pdf, and opening
> the pdf with Evince, the search function did not find the phrase 'ghost'
> in it, either.
Omega was to a large extend about supporting scripts and fonts for them
and when doing so you sometimes need to indicate the boundry of words or
glyph runs (regular tex also has a boundary char in the fonts).

first hit on "omega leftghost"

http://torus.math.uiuc.edu/jms/tex2mathml/omega-1.23.4/src/web_omega/omfont.ch

(thinking of it, i'm not sure if we should keep it because I'm not aware
of fonts that have kerns wrt left and right ghist glyphs; we do have a
boundary node system instead)