[dev-context] No Official ConTeXt LMTX Repository

Sebastian Miele sebastian.miele at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 23:24:38 CET 2020

Alan Braslau <braslau.list at comcast.net> writes:

> Being open source does not require that there be a "repository",
> rather that the source (to Context) be freely available.

Yes, being open source is not equivalent to having an official
repository. On the other hand, official repositories with pull access
for everyone arguably are the de facto standard in the open source
world. It has its conveniences, especally the ability to continually
rebase unfinished and/or unpublished changes on top of the most recent
official development. It, out of the box, provides all that I may want
to have track of with effectively minimal extra hassle/bookkeeping.

The primary workflow in this community is different and does not per se
provide these conveniences. However, from the answers by Mojca and Hans,
it is clear that it is not at all that complex to reconstruct a/the de
facto standard workflow for a contributor, without Hans having to change
his workflow. Some open questions remain. But nothing serious.

However, for now I will not do it. Instead, I will let the following
weeks and months test the following hypothesis: "The lack of the
(percieved) convenience provided by the de facto standard is not really
inconvenient (here and for what I really have to contribute)."

When that hypothesis gets falsified, I will have more to say.