[dev-context] Possible Problem with Mailing List Setup

Sebastian Miele sebastian.miele at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 22:34:50 CET 2020

Hi Mojca,

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> writes:

> I didn't read your messages, so I don't want to make any judgments
> about whether the content was off-topic or not, I just wanted to
> clarify that:
>
> [..]

Thank you for the clarification.

> I don't know if the low volume is really intentional, or more like a
> consequence of not too many people sending patches, and those few who
> do, do that directly to Hans, circumventing the mailing list. (I have
> a feeling that the initial intention was the opposite: to not bother
> users on the main list with complex off-topic stuff that they don't
> understand anyway. But that's just a wild guess.) In any case it's
> true that most of the discussions happen on ntg-context. And it's also
> true that the volume is relatively high there.

As of now, I know nearly nothing about ConTeXt, so I would not
understand most of what is going on ntg-context. First, I will try to
understand as much as possible about ConTeXt from past to present (i.e.
historically, after having worked through a lot of Knuth's original
stuff, and having read quite some papers), and from bottom to top (from
((Plain) Knuth) TeX and Lua through LuaMetaTeX to ConTeXt). In the past
I tried to do similar things the other way around, but always found it
quite unsatisfactory rather quickly. This time, I just take the (very)
long way.

So, for now, I will hit mostly stuff that is not relevant to (most)
users, but (hopefully) relevant to developers. For now, I will proceed
to post to this list, but I will reconsider the decision when I reached
substantial parts of the top (ConTeXt user facing stuff).