[dev-context] attachments in PDF/A-3

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Mon Mar 18 21:44:36 CET 2019

On 3/17/19 11:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 3/17/19 10:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Can you find the place in the official (online) pdf reference
>>> (specification) where this is explained? I like to work from that spec.
>> [...]
>> But I’m afraid that the explanations will be part of the PDF/A
>> specifications.
>
> so in the end this kind of standardization (whatever purpose it serves)
> forces dev of free software dev to buy all kind of standards ...

I totally agree with you that this is no solution at all.

> i don't like those commercial mix-ups in standards (pdf validation
> has always been a profitable business so i guess it will stay that
> way)

Adobe had a great policy allowing anyone to access the specifications
for free. But once the PDF Reference became an ISO standard, they lost
control over it.

The problem here is the standards organization (ISO). [A similar case is
the German DIN with their specs.]

Those organizations assert copyrights to profit with the publishing of
the standards. But that way, they don’t realize (or simply, they don’t
care about the fact) that that precise policy hinders a wider adoption
of the standards.

> (the problem with these things is that it doesn't pay of in terms of fun
> development)

I wish I could provide a patch with the report, but I’m afraid this is
beyond my knowledge 😔.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk