[dev-context] palatino at 10.5pt bold not found when using project structure w/ MkIV

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at olin.edu
Sat Jul 6 00:36:36 CEST 2013

>From what I can tell, the bold font is not found if all of the following
are true:

1. using the Palatino typescript
2. setting the body font to 10.5pt (but 11pt or 12pt works fine)
3. using MkIV
4. using components (project structure)

Here's the minimal example (mytest.tex):

\startmode[ascomponent]
  \startcomponent mytest
\stopmode

\usetypescript[palatino][ec]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,10.5pt]

\startmode[standalone]
  \starttext
\stopmode

{\bold hello}

\startmode[standalone]
  \stoptext
\stopmode

\startmode[ascomponent]
  \stopcomponent
\stopmode

Compile the two variants with:

  context --mode=ascomponent --result=mytest-ascomponent.pdf mytest.tex
  context --mode=standalone --result=mytest-standalone.pdf mytest.tex

mytest-standalone.pdf is fine (the "hello" is in bold), but
mytest-ascomponent.pdf has the "hello" in roman.

The particular roman font in mytest-ascomponent.pdf is also funny:

  $ pdffonts mytest-ascomponent.pdf
  name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
  ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
  TZNKGE+TeXGyrePagellaMath-Regular    CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     18  0

Why is it the math font?

(A slightly more complex example, using \project to include a project
file, which includes an environment file that asks for palatino,
produced the same problem.  But the version above needs just one file,
mytest.tex, so for simplicity I am describing the problem using it.)

What I think is happening is that, when running as a component, the
typescript loading happens too late (after the equivalent of
"\starttext"), and not everything gets set up properly.  In support of
that idea, if I shift the two environment lines ("\usetypescript ...")
to just before the "{\bold hello}"---thus, after the "\starttext"---then
the standalone version gets the same problem ("hello" in roman).

What puzzles me is that this problem shows up only with 10.5pt and using
palatino.  If I just use 10.5pt (i.e. w/ modern), then there's no
problem.  Or 11pt in Palatino is fine.  There's also no problem using MkII.

I tested with the context in vanilla TL2013 and in Norbert's latest
Debian packages--the problem happens in both.

I'm attaching the two log files.

-Sanjoy