[dev-context] Merging font support modules

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sun Apr 7 17:45:08 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

I was browsing through the third party modules, and noticed that there are
a few packages that provide typescripts for fonts. I think that it will be
worthwhile to clean up and merge these modules, so as to reduce the amount
of clutter.

I am listing all the font related modules below, and asking if these are
still needed; or should some of these be moved to an obsolete/ branch or
merged with other modules.

- Chinese font support (by Wolfgang Schuster; provides fonts, perhaps
merge with cwTeX font module, also by Wolfgang)

- GFSDidot Opentype fonts (I cannot browse through that! Should this be
moved to obsolete branch?)

- Greek (by Thomas Schmitz; provides fonts as well as typescripts, so this
module cannot be merged)

- Storm font support (Again, I cannot browse through that. Should this be
moved to obsolete branch?)

- Lucida bright font support (by Vit Zyka: do we still need these support
files, or can this be moved to obsolete?)

-  Support for cwTeX fonts (by Wolfgang Schuster provides fonts and
typescripts. Can this be merged with Chinese font support?)

- Typescript (by Wolfgang Schuster, provides typescripts for a variety of
fonts. I think that all modules that only distribute font typescripts
should be merged with this one.)

- URW Garamond support (by Peter Münster; is this still needed? If so,
this should be merged with the typescript module)

- URW Gothic support (by Taco Hoekwater; is this still needed? If so, this
should be merged with the typescript module).

What do others feel about such pruning and merging of packages?

Aditya