[dev-context] Help regarding context architecture and compilation

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun Jan 16 16:31:57 CET 2011

	Hello,

  Hans has already said that, but I want to stress it: the most
reasonable way to package ConTeXt in a distribution (Fink, or any other,
for that matter), is to start from the "Minimals": http://minimals.contextgarden.net/.
This is a (relatively) lightweight, stand-alone distribution for
ConTeXt, and there shouldn't be any theoretical problems adapting it
into a system like Fink (which doesn't mean it wouldn't need some
effort!)

  Of all people, Mojca, you should have mentioned that!

  In any case, I don't believe that is true:

> Well, seriously, if you want to install ConTeXt in fink, the very
> first thing that you have to do is to create a package for TeX Live
> 2010.

  Why?  If the TeX distributionn in Fink is so outdated (according to
you; I haven't checked), why bother bringing it up-to-date when we don't
need it in the first place?

> Either way: creating a package for Fink is asking for troubles unless
> you create a proper TeX Live package first to replace teTeX. It will
> simplify things enormously for you.

  Or you just create a stand-alone package for ConTeXt, mark it as
incompatible with the rest of the TeX-related packages in Fink, and use
it as such; just as you said yourself, actually.

	Arthur