[dev-context] Help regarding context architecture and compilation

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 10:38:11 CET 2011

Dear Julius,

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:17, Julius Canute wrote:

> Also i want to make context available through fink. For which i need to understand the dependencies of context.

Fink? (I hope that you are joking?)

Well, seriously, if you want to install ConTeXt in fink, the very
first thing that you have to do is to create a package for TeX Live
2010. Come on ... they still have teTeX in their package repository.
And if one wants to instal fink's gnuplot, one needs to have teTeX in
PATH. I ran away from it due to it being entirely out-of-date.

There is a package unicode-tex. Dated 2004, which is pretty much
useless in 2011.

In theory you could create a package for LuaTeX and then only support
ConTeXt MkIV, in any other case (unless you create texlive2010) you
would litteraly have to create a rule saying that packages context and
tetex conflict with each other, so if you want to have one, you cannot
have the other.

> Looking for a way to build context from the source manually without using minimal context?
> Can anyone help me do the compilation manually from source or at-least point to some references to do that?

Do you want to have support for MKIV only or also for MKII? The only
things that you need to compile from source are:
- MKIV: just luatex
- MKII: pdftex, xetex, metapost and some of the files in
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/common/osx-64/bin/, in
particular kpsewhich

You might definitely want to compile luatex from source. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/Implementation for the
list. The files are available here:
http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/project/luatex/frs/

If you want to compile the other files from source, the least I can
say is that you will have to figure it out by yourself or take the
binaries from TeX Live. I would definitely suggest you to simply copy
the binaries from TeX Live (you can find them in SVN or on CTAN under
systems/texlive/ ... as tar.xz packages, you can ask for details). If
you want to compile it yourself, you are pretty much on your own. See
http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html for details.

Once you have the binaries set up, you will need different bits and
pieces from all over the place. You can have a look at
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current to get the idea of what
exactly you might need (I can also tell you what comes from where),
but you won't find it at a single place. It is like asking for
"sources for a linux distribution". Each distribution has to carefully
collect bits and pieces and each one does it in a different way.

Either way: creating a package for Fink is asking for troubles unless
you create a proper TeX Live package first to replace teTeX. It will
simplify things enormously for you.

A short list of dependencies:
- binaries (from TeX Live + latest luatex)
- base files for TeX, metapost (I take them from TeX Live)
- fonts (I take them from TeX Live)
- texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua (you will have to write your own)
- context itself (you can fetch it from pragma-ade.com)
- optional: modules (you can fetch them from
dl.contextgarden.net/modules or from CTAN)

Mojca