[dev-context] Mac installation package

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Mon Aug 24 10:07:16 CEST 2009

> MkIV is ConTeXt’s feature without an doubt but it's not so easy as
> you think.
>
> I have myself two modules which work only with MkIV (simplefonts and
> games) but
> bigger ones like simpleslides or letter are just complexer styles
> and you can't
> expect from a user to upgrade to MkIV just to make a presentation or
> to write
> a short letter.
>
> I thought about integrating the version check into \setupmodule
> because the command
> is only used in modules and available in MkII and MkIV but Thomas
> and Aditya use it
> in the simpleslides module to pass parameters to the module and this
> a few times
> at different places and not only at the start of the file.

Perhaps this is too simple ... what about some passive check on behalf
of the module? That is, would the MkII kernel evaluate another field
in the module's header upon loading or ignore it because it doesn't
recognize the additional info? In the latter case the MkIV kernel
could evaluate the additional header and refuse to load the module if
necessary.

Of course, this wouldn't prevent an MkIV only module from being loaded
in MkII but it would implement the compatibility check at least for
MkIV. But that's probably fine given that some modules are MkIV
exclusive already :-) And even for existing modules one will probably
have to split into (frozen?) MkII and current MkIV versions at some
point anyway ...

Well, just a thought.

Oliver