[dev-context] A few questions

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Aug 7 14:18:41 CEST 2009

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 07.08.2009 um 12:02 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> not very nice and don't look pleasant to me
>>
>> sure, but a pleasant solution takes me more time -)
>
> that's why i asked, i wasn't able to write a pleasant one myself
>
>>> i get the feeling we're moving towards latex3 (brr), before this
>>> happens drop the whole
>>> thing and i don't like \getvariable in this context anyway
>>
>> there was a presentation about this ltx3 low level syntax and i
>> definitely don't want to have something like that; it's more that in
>> context we have this system of [optional]{whatever} that we might want
>> to support
>
> me neither, the latex3 system is too complicated and one has to remember
> what n, N, x ... means etc.

indeed, and also kind of redundant as the name should denote the usage,
i.e. imagine that in e.g. lua we did  myfunction_takes_num_and_num

i would not be surprised if it's also quite slow (esp when used in core
code) and core code is not used by users anyway

> there are a few interesting things like namespaces for module/macros but
> that's not worth the effort they take

indeed, but keep in mind that in context we seldom have other interfaces
that [] and {}, no optoinal * etc