[dev-context] lpdf.dictionary

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jul 21 23:16:52 CEST 2009

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> can you implement *ordered* output with 'lpdf.dictionary'? There are two
> reasons why I ask.
>
> - My md5 hashing mechanism depends on the order of the entries. I think
> its much easier to implement an ordered output than to create a hashing
> mechanism, that checks for equal content. I also doubt, that there is a
> faster alternative for this job than md5.
> - Also debugging is a pain with longer dictionaries (I have to use a
> check list).

as the dictionary is a hash, ordering would imply way more overhead than
i'm willing to accept so why not use the serialized stream as hash, ie.
just d() given that d is a dictionary; there is no gain in an md5

i might provide a 'shared object' mechanism in the lpdf code (i
considered it for some mechanisms)