[dev-context] error: You can't use `\vadjust' in internal vertical mode

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jun 12 18:54:39 CEST 2009

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>>> ok, the problem is in the images ... please make images self contained
>>
>> I don 't think so. I have the font (which is just Palatino-Roman), and
>
> well, the a map file issue .. but i gave up on those funny tex fonts
> (esp the ones ending on r)
>
> anyhow, with the new zip i get the error

If I patch \sidefloatoutput (page-sid.tex) like so:

\def\sidefloatoutput
   {\iffloatshort
      \unvbox\normalpagebox
      \setbox\floatbottom\lastbox
      \ifdim\wd\floatbottom>\sidefloathsize
        \penalty-201
        \box\floatbottom
      \else
        \ifvoid\floatbottom
        \else
          \restoreleftindent
          \ifdim\wd\floatbottom<\sidefloathsize
            \parskip\zeropoint
            %\noindent
-           \vadjust{\penalty\minusone}%
+           \ifinner\else \vadjust{\penalty\minusone}\fi

it runs without error. It looks like the side float output routine
is called in the middle of this math display:

   \startformula
   a-b+c-d+f-g+h-e\equiv1\ (\mod 3),
   \stopformula
   which shows that all vertices cannot be made multiples of~3
   simultaneously.

I think my patch somewhat odd, but at least it does not crash and I fear
that the sidefloat output in this case (a float next to a display that
forces a page break) is somewhat undefined anyway.

Best wishes,
Taco