[dev-context] kpathsea and XeTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:18:56 CEST 2007

On 10/19/07, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Taco:
> >> you should check the value of the "mktextfm" feature. It seems to be
> >> on in gwTeX.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the pointer. That was an enormous speedup :) But that
> > should probably not be the ultimate solution?
>
> There is no other way to get rid of them. It is impossible to
> control the execution of those scripts (mktextfm, mktexmf, mktexfmt,
> mktexpk) from C code without patching kpathsea.

Do you mean that kpathsea should support something like "please tell
me if that font is available, but do not try to run mktex... even if
that one is on by default"?

In any case, I've set that option to zero and my system is slightly
broken for some unknown reason today, but I will get over it somehow
:)

> I believe all of those scripts should be off on a modern installation.

I would agree, but as long as there are metafont fonts residing on a
system and people are using them ...
If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, I still get bitmap fonts. *That*
one should be changed. Rendering of such documents on Mac's screen is
almost unreadable.

(I even get bitmap integers inside math with ConTeXt, but I didn't
manage to figure out yet whose fault that is.)

How is it possible that MikTeX has managed to solve that issue, but
TeX Live not? (Or perhaps I should check it once more on some windows
machine.)

> > and the second one (without that setting int exmf.cnf) still remains:
> > ConTeXt constantly complains about missing lmtypewriter10-regular
> > (several times per ConTeXt run - which is really annoying and slowing
> > it down quite a bit):
> >
> > kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmtypewriter10-regular
> > mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> > nonstopmode; input lmtypewriter10-regular
> > This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> Was the metapost font not changed to ec-lmtt10 ? I thought we had
> agreed on that (the above message is from metapost, running metafont
> through mktextfm).

Hans first changed it when I "compalined" that XeTeX should not load
ec-whatever and texnansi-whatever map files any more. It then turned
out that metapost still needs them, so it would still be necessary to
add an additional font (texnansi-lmtt10, I guess - probably because
it's "almost-ascii-compatible"), but I don't know if that happened.

I wanted to test now, but apparently I just broke something (no idea
what), so I need to start from scratch (delete everything, install
texlive again in the worst case). I updated xdvipdfmx, but even
reverting to the old version doesn't help any more. (But that is my
own problem of course.)

Mojca

fonts           : resetting map file list
fonts           : using map file: original-base
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-base
fonts           : using map file: ec-base
fonts           : using map file: qx-base
fonts           : using map file: t5-base
fonts           : using map file: 8r-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-euler
fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
[1.1]
systems         : end file a at line 12
system          : cont-err loaded
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
) )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
stdin -> a.pdf
[1
** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "original-base.map".
** WARNING ** Interpreting special command mapfile (pdf:) failed.
** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(1.09453e-05, -1.5411e-05)" (in PDF)
** WARNING ** >> xxx "pdf:mapfile +original-base.map"
** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "texnansi-base.map".
** WARNING ** Interpreting special command mapfile (pdf:) failed.
** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(1.09453e-05, -1.5411e-05)" (in PDF)
** WARNING ** >> xxx "pdf:mapfile +texnansi-base.map"
** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "ec-base.map".
** WARNING ** Interpreting special command mapfile (pdf:) failed.
** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(1.09453e-05, -1.5411e-05)" (in PDF)
** WARNING ** >> xxx "pdf:mapfile +ec-base.map"
** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "qx-base.map".
** WARNING ** Interpreting special command mapfile (pdf:) failed.
** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(1.09453e-05, -1.5411e-05)" (in PDF)
** WARNING ** >> xxx "pdf:mapfile +qx-base.map"