[dev-context] kpathsea and XeTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:46:48 CEST 2007

Taco:
> you should check the value of the "mktextfm" feature. It seems to be
> on in gwTeX.

Thanks a lot for the pointer. That was an enormous speedup :) But that
should probably not be the ultimate solution?

Hans:
> - check if the file databases are there (ls-r)

Yes.

> - maybe xetex has troubles finding the fonts (system fonts?)

No, it doesn't seem so.

> - maybe try to enable KPSE_DEBUG (or so) and see what lookups take place

Where can I set that flag when compiling a ConTeXt file?

> This is probably unrelated to context but more to some setup problem.
> Keep in mind that minimals run faster anyway (upto a few seconds)

The problem is not related to the overall speed. Now I remember that
Jonathan has warned me that kpathsea will try to generate a font if
it's not found. That doesn't happen on standalone, but it does on
"standard TeXLive".

The first half of the problem has been solved by prepending file: to a
bunch of definitions:

\starttypescript [serif] [palatino,pagella]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino]
[file:texgyrepagella-regular]    [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic]
[file:texgyrepagella-italic]     [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold]        [file:texgyrepagella-bold]
      [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldItalic]
[file:texgyrepagella-bolditalic] [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Caps]
[file:texgyrepagella-regular]    [features=smallcaps]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Slanted]     [Palatino-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldSlanted] [Palatino-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

and the second one (without that setting int exmf.cnf) still remains:
ConTeXt constantly complains about missing lmtypewriter10-regular
(several times per ConTeXt run - which is really annoying and slowing
it down quite a bit):

kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmtypewriter10-regular
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input lmtypewriter10-regular
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf lmtypewriter10-regular
! I can't find file `lmtypewriter10-regular'.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmtypewriter10-regular

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmtypewriter10-regular

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: lmtypewriter10-regular.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input lmtypewriter10-regular' failed to make
lmtypewriter10-regular.tfm.
fonts           : fails 1b: "lmtypewriter10-regular" (nullfont)
fonts           : succeeds 1c: "[lmtypewriter10-regular]" ("[lmtypewriter10-reg
ular]" at 12.0pt)

I'm sending a small patch which solves the first half of the problem,
but please check it before applying (diff) to make sure that I had the
latest version. It would be nice to solve that with lmtypewriter, but
I still remember all the problems from one month ago, so I'm clueless

Mojca