[dev-context] binaries in context minimals

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Sep 19 23:44:57 CEST 2007

I have a somewhat longer list of exes that I believe can be
weeded out:

>> dvipdfmx

Is that still needed ? I always run xdvipdfmx instead

>> mktexmf

We don't ship mf sources to take advantage of it

>> mmafm
>> mmpfb
>> pfb2pfa

All three can go I think

>> ttf2tfm

Last time I checked this was terribly outdated. It didn't like
any of the ttfs I tried to feed it. ttf2afm does much better.

>> dvips

Dvips needs a bunch of postscript header (.pro) files, that are
not in the distro right now, I think. When I tried to run it just
now, it was complaining about missing stuff.

>> dvitodvi

I believe this does something for booklet generation.

>> kpseaccess
>> kpsestat

those are helpers used by mktexlsr.

> gforce, taco can tell, we may put them on the luatex site as well

http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost has mpost binaries
for linux-i386 and windows, the rest of the platform binaries would
have to come from texlive at the moment.

>> luatex
>> texlua (same as luatex, I guess, or simply a symbolic link?)
>> texluac (same as luatex, I guess)

the latter two are symlinks, ideally.

>> xdvipdfmx
>> xetex
>>
>> + pdftex.pool and xetex.pool
>
> for the moment yes, taco ... shouldn't we move pools files into the bins?

I thought Jonathan had that planned for 0.997.

For pdftex: we had a discussion about the pool file once already, and
I am not in the mood to repeat it.

Best wishes,
Taco