[dev-context] binaries in context minimals

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:24:02 CEST 2007

On 9/19/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> > a.) do we still need any of these?
> > afm2pl
> > afm2tfm

Are these two needed? (Probably for debugging, as below.)

> > dvipdfmx

What is with dvipdfmx? Wasn't that one for aleph (which is not in the
minimals any more)?

> > mktexmf
>
> ^ probably not, not sure what it does
>
> > mmafm
> > mmpfb
>
> ^ multiple master fonts are obsolete

OK

> > pfb2pfa
>
> ^ can go away

OK

> > pltotf
> > tftopl
>
> knuthian progies so let's keep them (debugging)
>
> > ttf2afm
>
> maybe keep it for a while (debugging
>
> > ttf2tfm
>
> does not really work i think
>
> > vftovp
> > vptovf
>
> knuthian progs
>

> so: mktexmf, ttf2tfm and pfb2pfa can go away
>
> > b.) stubs (Hans: should I simply copy everything from stubs there?)
> > concheck
> > ctxtools
> > exaclient
> > exampleg
> > examplex
> > exaresolve
> > exaserver
> > exatools
>
> exastuff can go away (one can alway suse texmfstart scriptname)

OK.

> > imgtopdf
>
> i need the minimals myself, so keep that one for a while

I didn't intend to remove any of those files.

> > makempy
> > mptopdf
> > pdftools
> > pstopdf
> > rlxtools
> > rscortool
> > rsfiltool
> > rslibtool
> > texexec
> > texfont
> > texshow
> > textools
> > texutil
> > tmftools
> > xmltools
>
> okay
>
> > c.) simply copy from cont-tmf
> > texmfstart
> > luatools
> > mtxrun
>
> indeed, beware, we need these copied in the bin path !
>
> > d.) to be taken from texlive
> > dvitodvi
>
> used?

texexec probably replaced it's functionality. Perhaps it might go away.

> > kpseaccess
>
> used?
>
> > kpsestat
>
> used?

If texexec doesn't use it, people don't use it either, I assume.

> > kpsewhich
> > mktexlsr
> > pdftosrc
>
> also pdfinfo, pdftops, pdfimages ... everything from xpdf

Hmmm ... apparently that one is only needed for windows, or to be put
in other words: there is no binary in texlive for other platforms.
Apparently I got it with fink. It might be nice to have it for other
platforms, but I don't know where to get it. Perhaps it's considered
so standard that texlive didn't include it?

Mojca