[dev-context] Some math improvements

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 25 19:46:32 CEST 2007

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi Hans and Taco,
>
> I am attaching the math enhancements that I have been promising for
> about for some days^H^H^H^Hweeks now. Here are the changes.
>
> 1. Improved \llap, \rlap, \clap that work in both math and text mode
> (Taco's code)
>
> 2. A \cramped macro to go into cramped mode (based on Knuth's code)
made even more cramped:

\def\docramped#1#2%
  {\begingroup % added HH, made even more cramped
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox
     {\nulldelimiterspace\zeropoint
      $\m at th#1\radical\zerocount{#2}$}%
   \ht\scratchbox-\dimexpr
     \ifx#1\displaystyle
       \fontdimen8\textfont3
       +.25\fontdimen5\textfont2
     \else
        1.25\fontdimen8
          \ifx#1\textstyle
            \textfont
          \else\ifx#1\scriptstyle
            \scriptfont
          \else
            \scriptscriptfont
          \fi \fi
          \plusthree
     \fi
     -\ht\scratchbox
   \relax
   \box\scratchbox
   \endgroup}

> 3. \crampedllap \crampedrlap, \crampedclap for the equivalents to
> \llap etc which typesets its contents in cramped mode (well, I kinda
> figured that out on my own :)
>
> 4. An improved substack macro, with improved spacing. (Based on
> amsmath's substack macro). Taco, does it make sense to surround
> substack with a group, which will save some typing
> \sum_startsubstack whatever \stopsubstack or are there any side
> effects? In the code, I do not have the extra group.
>
> 5. Definitions for iint, iiint, iiiint (for those who can't count i's
> like me, you can use \repeatintegral{1}, \repeatintegral{2}, etc.
> Maybe, we should have the more readable \doubleintegral,
> \tripeintegral, \quadintegral also). This is based on amsmath code,
> and tries to use correct spacing for \iint\limits_{....}. BTW, does
> anyone wish that the limits with \int were configurable rather than
> defaulting to \nolimits? amsmath provides this feature, but I have
> personally never seen it being used. It is not too difficult to
> implement.
>

> 6. A definition for splitfrac, which is useful for multi-line
> fractions. Based on Michael Downes' code.
>
> ..... I also had something for \intertext, but realized that
> \intertext does not honor indentations. I will look into that first,
> before posting the code.
>

> Now, I need to do collect everthing for theorems. Hopefully, core-des
> has not changed since I started working on it...
i wonder is this genfrac is ok ... dangling \zeropoint etc

can you check m-newmath?

maybe the few useful things in there can go to core-mat anyway