[dev-context] metapost format problem in Debian ConTeXt 2007.03.19, TeX Live 2007

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Mar 29 20:08:42 CEST 2007

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Taco, hi all!
>
> On Don, 29 Mär 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>> main_memory = 1000000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to
>>> main_memory.context = 1500000
>>> main_memory.mpost = 1500000
>> Norbert, can you fix this please?
>
> Next version (1.4) of tex-common will have main_memory = 1500000.
>
> But isn't this rubbish??? Why do we need
> 	main_memory
> and
> 	main_memory.mpost
> if both have to be the same??? What do I miss?

No, we don't need both.

In the older setups, there were multiple values for main_memory and
main_memory.XXXX created, in an attempt to be conservative with
memory usage for TeX when possible. But that size-difference did
not work for metapost at all (thanks to either a different internal
memory usage or because nobody ever looked into it and ust assumed
that if it worked for TeX, it would work for metapost as well).

Instead, it resulted in really strange and unpredictable bugs.

So, in new metapost (>0.992) the value used during runtime has to be
the same as the mem dumping value. It can still be main_memory.XXXX,
but then you have to give a --progname switch during dump (and undump)
so that both array sizes are always the same.

Best, Taco