[dev-context] metapost format problem in Debian ConTeXt 2007.03.19, TeX Live 2007

plink plink at veribox.net
Wed Mar 28 20:35:56 CEST 2007

Thanks for the hint, Taco!

I found the following memory setting of the debian packages in debians 
configlet /etc/texmf/texmf.d/95NonPath.cnf:

main_memory = 1000000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to 
extra_mem_top = 0     % extra high memory for chars, tokens, etc.
extra_mem_bot = 0     % extra low memory for boxes, glue, breakpoints, etc.

% ConTeXt is a memory hog...
extra_mem_top.context = 2000000
extra_mem_bot.context = 4000000
main_memory.context = 1500000
main_memory.mpost = 1500000

Setting main_memory to the same size as main_memory.mpost fixes the 
problem (after an update-texmf and fmtutil-sys --refresh).

However, now that I fixed it this way I do not understand why the same 
settings seem to work for other people, at least thats the way the 
Mpgraphic wiki page seems to point at.

Sigh, one day when I grow up I'll be able to see into these dark TeX 
corners. Thanks very much anyhow!

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> plink wrote:
>> I encountered a strange problem with metapost since my recent updates. 
>> I am using the apt-sources given in your post below and can't seem to 
>> make metapost happy, leaving it always complaining about wrong formats:
>> ...
>> This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>> (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
>> (Fatal mem file error; I'm stymied)
>> ...
>> and in /var/lib/texmf/web2c/metapost there are freshly generated
>> metafun.mem and mpost.mem, no other mem-files on the system.
> Besides finding the wrong file, another possible explanation
> is that there is a mismatch between the array sizes in texmf.cnf
> that were used during mem dump time and the sizes that are to be
> used runtime. The 0.993 beta checks these values to make sure
> there is no change.
> This can happen for instance when you have a texmf.cnf like
> this:
>     main_memory.mpost   =  100000
>     main_memory.metafun = 2000000
> In both cases, the -kpathsea-debug switch is useful. Either on
> the commandline, or in the environment.
>     mpost -kpathsea-debug=6
> or
>     export KPATHSEA_DEBUG
>     mpost
> The numeric value is a bitfield, the combination '6' should give
> you file  operations and texmf.cnf value lookups
> Good luck,
> Taco

More information about the dev-context mailing list