[dev-context] metapost format problem in Debian ConTeXt 2007.03.19, TeX Live 2007

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Mar 28 09:23:28 CEST 2007

plink wrote:
> Hi Norbert et al,
>
> I encountered a strange problem with metapost since my recent updates. I
> am using the apt-sources given in your post below and can't seem to make
> metapost happy, leaving it always complaining about wrong formats:

> This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
> (Fatal mem file error; I'm stymied)
>
> and in /var/lib/texmf/web2c/metapost there are freshly generated
> metafun.mem and mpost.mem, no other mem-files on the system.

Besides finding the wrong file, another possible explanation
is that there is a mismatch between the array sizes in texmf.cnf
that were used during mem dump time and the sizes that are to be
used runtime. The 0.993 beta checks these values to make sure
there is no change.

This can happen for instance when you have a texmf.cnf like
this:

	main_memory.mpost   =  100000
	main_memory.metafun = 2000000

In both cases, the -kpathsea-debug switch is useful. Either on
the commandline, or in the environment.

	mpost -kpathsea-debug=6
or
	KPATHSEA_DEBUG=6
	export KPATHSEA_DEBUG
	mpost

The numeric value is a bitfield, the combination '6' should give
you file  operations and texmf.cnf value lookups

Good luck,

Taco