[dev-context] [OS X TeX] More New MacTeX Packages

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Feb 12 10:16:10 CET 2007

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> Hans & Taco,
>
> There is a potental problem with ConTeXt on TL2007 and the € symbol
> havig to do with changes in marvosym.
>
> Charles,
>
> could you make a non gtamacfonts test file and see if that works?
> Because I do not kow how ConTeXt works. If you have such a file and  it
> does not work, probably Has & Taco would like to kow the exact  details.

No need for a test file, the problem is staightforward enough. The UTF
euro sign maps to the macro \texteuro, that then tries to find the best
suited glyph. Since EC encoding doesn't have a euro symbol, context
falls back to the marvosym font to provide one.

But the metric file ConTeXt knows that font by (fmvr8x) was deleted
from TeXLive, because the package (marvosym) that it belongs to has
been updated, and it switched to a new name for the metric file.

It is very likely they did not change *just* the name, but updated the
base font file as well, so simple name remapping probably will not work
anyway. We probably have to update the support macros for marvosym as
well (cc the dev-context list).

It is bad luck that the last-minute update to marvosym in texlive
breaks the marvosym support in context, but there is no way to fix
that any more.

Meanwhile, if you need a euro sign, it looks like you have to use
texnansi encoding.

Greetings, Taco