[dev-context] new MyWay about \sometxt

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 09:18:06 CET 2007

On 1/30/07, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> I thought a bit about your feature request, and it is not too
> difficult to implement it. Here is a patch that allows you to use
> \sometext[font][iwona,20pt]{...}. Careful of spurious linebreaks.
>
> %=======================================================
>
> \long\def\redofiltersometxt[#1]%
> {\doifnextcharelse[{\reredofiltersometxt[#1]}{\redodofiltersometxt[#1]}}
>
> \long\def\redodofiltersometxt[#1]#2%
>    {\increment\txtcounter
>     \TeXtext[#1]\txtcounter{#2}%
>     \filtersometxt}
>
> \long\def\reredofiltersometxt[#1][#2]#3%
>    {\increment\txtcounter
>     \TeXtext[#1]\txtcounter{\switchtobodyfont[#2]\strut#3}%
>     \filtersometxt}
>
> \definetextext[font]{\donothing}
>
> \usetypescript[iwona][texnansi]
>
> \starttext
> \startMPcode
>    draw fullcircle xyscaled (3cm,2cm);
>    label(\sometxt{Hello world!}, origin);
> \stopMPcode
>
> % Does not cause any harm.
> \startMPcode
>    draw fullcircle xyscaled (3cm,2cm);
>    label(\sometxt[font]{Hello world!}, origin);
> \stopMPcode
>
> \startMPcode
>    draw fullcircle xyscaled (3cm,2cm);
>    label(\sometxt[font][iwona,20pt]{Hello world!}, origin);
> \stopMPcode
>
> \stoptext
>
> %===============================================================
>
> I haven't tested it, but I do not think that this should cause any
> problems with existing code.

If gnuplot doesn't fail with it, it probably means that it works OK ;)

"Helvetica" seems to work OK here:
     http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/gnuplot-context.zip

(Usually I get dozens of error messages when applying something new,
at least "memory limit exceeded" if everything else happens to work by
accident ;)

The most funny part was when practiacally all the labels were missing
on one plot before I figured out that
    \setupbodyfont[somefont,14pt]
    \switchtobodyfont[some other font]
doesn't work at all without defining bodyfontenvironment.

Thank you very much again! The .tex file is still in its "pre-alpha"
state, but at least I was able to "finalize" the terminal with a clean
syntax ;)

> Would that extra overhead be useful of gnuplot?

yes ... once I manage to convince the developers that the difference
between these two plots might be relevant enough to justify an
additional driver:
     http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.1/enhancedtext.html
     http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/enhancedtext.pdf

(I hope that Patrick will not be reading this before I manage to
remove the files again ;)

Mojca