[dev-context] texexec --timeout=NN should return nonzero code on timeout

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 06:46:09 CET 2007

Here is what has come up from the regression testing.  [I'll send them
one issue/email.]

If a texexec job runs out of time (--timeout=NN), the exit code should
be nonzero.  Right now it's zero; which, I just realized, had slightly
confused the error handling by the regression-testing.

Here's an example using one of the problematic files in the test repo.
[Send the output to a file because it's grows to 14MB.]  This command

  texexec --nonstopmode --timeout=10 tex/context/base/unic-002.tex/test-001.tex

exits with error code 0, but this one

  texexec --nonstopmode tex/context/base/unic-002.tex/test-001.tex

exits with error code 1.  Maybe if it times out it should exit with its
own code (who knows, maybe 23?).

[I'm testing the above with 2007.01.23]

So I wrote a short Python script (utils/run-it.py in the repo) to handle
maximum time and maximum filesize, which the Makefile now uses to wrap
the texexec call.

-Sanjoy

`A nation of slaves is always prepared to applaud the clemency of their
 master who, in the abuse of absolute power, does not proceed to the
 last extremes of injustice and oppression.'  (Gibbon)