[dev-context] Improved support for Norwegian in ConTeXt

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 01:41:34 CET 2007

On 2/4/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi Mojca
>
> an impressive summary ... just provide the patches needed,  take a look
> at 'de' and 'deo' ... we can clone languages  so definitions can be shared

For a few things it would be wise to wait for responses first. Also,
these are responses by Karl Berry:

   For the record, the language names used in LaTeX/Babel is
   (unfortunately) 'Norwegian' and 'norsk' for Norwegian Bokmål, and
   'nynorsk' for Norwegian Nynorsk, instead of 'bokmal'/'bokmål' and
   'nynorsk'.

Naturally, only the Babel maintainers can change Babel.  All I can
suggest filing a report in the latex bug database.  Although quick
action is unlikely, at least that way it can be considered.  Presumably
the bokmal name could become the canonical one, and Norwegian+norsk just
left as aliases for compatibility.

What I can do in TL is add "bokmal" as an alias for "norsk" and
"norwegian", in the hopes that it could prove useful in the future, if
Babel changes.  I did that.

   Would it be possible to have two different hyphenation dictionaries
   for 'nb' and 'nn', which would only differ in the hyphenation
   exceptions used for these two words?

Anything is possible.  Maybe a good approach would be to create
nbhyph.tex and nnhyph.tex, which \input nohyphbx.tex and then add the
necessary exceptions.  Then I can make languages nb and nn in TL which
\input the new files.

Can you upload a new package to CTAN with those files?  I'd like to have
it on CTAN to start with so that, among other reasons, MiKTeX will also
have a chance to benefit.  For instance, the package could be installed
in something like CTAN:language/hyphenation/norwegian.

This is something that the natives have to take care of ;)

> concerning conversions ... there are some language specific things, take
> a look at chinese (s-chi*)

Thanks.

Mojca