[dev-context] \rm in pmod, bmod, etc

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sat Feb 3 02:13:49 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Hi Hans and Taco,
>
>  Do you think it makes sense to replace {\rm mod} in the definition of
> bmod and pmod (in math-pln.tex) by \mfunction{mod}?

Another request: I am thinking of updating the nath module, and I
notice that nath.sty goes into considerable length to make math
commands "robust" (whatever that means). Basically

\def\makerobust#1{%
  \expandafter\let\csname @o@\expandafter\gobbleoneargument\string #1\endcsname=#1
  \unexpanded\def#1{\csname @o@\expandafter\gobbleoneargument\string #1\endcsname}}

% Making composed math symbols robust:

\makerobust\cong
\makerobust\notin

If I understand correctly, this can be achieved by replace

\def\cong to \undexpanded\def\cong in math-pln.

I do not understand expansion very well, but is there a disadvantage
of not defining math characters to be unexpandable to begin with?

Aditya