[dev-context] [contexttest-Feature Requests][63] Allow attribution immediately following quotation blocks

contexttest-featurerequests at foundry.supelec.fr contexttest-featurerequests at foundry.supelec.fr
Fri Jan 12 02:55:17 CET 2007

You can respond by visiting:
http://foundry.supelec.fr/tracker/?func=detail&atid=164&aid=63&group_id=21
Or by replying to this e-mail entering your response between the following markers:
#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+
(enter your response here)
#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+

Version: None
Category: Typesetting

Initial Comment:

See the excerpt from a discussion with Oliver Buerschaper, below. That one uses a \cite command, but it could also be a footnote, or an Author's name or a wikipedia entry.

\setupquotation[right={''\footnote{First}}]

is not usable because it gets fed into \symbol[] and many things do
not work well in that case (the \footnote, for example, disappears).

Taco

Oliver wrote:
>The disappearing footnote may be unfixable within \startquotation. It
>> would be easier to define your own start-stop pair for this, because
>> \startquotation ... \stopquotation doesn't actually support tacking on
>> stuff at the end. Try this instead:
>>
>>    \long\def\startcitedquotation[#1]#2\stopcitedquotation
>>        {\bgroup \par
>>         \startnarrower
>>           \symbol[leftquotation]%
>>           #2\removeunwantedspaces
>>           \symbol[rightquotation]%
>>           \cite[#1]
>>         \stopnarrower
>>         \par \egroup}

Works like a charm! Thanks very much for the workaround ... I've
adapted it slightly so that the optional argument is treated as
generic text ... in order to use \cite[], \footnote{\cite[]} or
whatever else I need.

Could this optional argument perhaps be integrated directly in the
usual \startquotation command some day? I guess a lot of people will
need this ... every quotation calls for a proper reference  ;-)

Cheers,
Oliver

Date: 2007-01-11 20:55

Message:
I think that the reason for \cite and \footnote not working
is this because the parameter right is typeset inside a
\hsmash. For example see the output of

\hsmash{Footnote lost\footnote{test}}

I do not know why this is happening, but perhaps the
following may help a guru

\setbox0=\hbox{This is a test\footnote{Box Zero}}
\setbox1=\hbox{This is a test\footnote{Box One}}

\box0    %Only footnote mark is present
\unhbox1 %Both footnote mark and the footnote is present

One way to fix this is to redefine \rightdelimitedmark not
to use a \hsmash

\def\rightdelimitedtextmark
    {\delimitedtextparameter\c!right}
 % was  {\hsmash{\delimitedtextparameter\c!right}}

I do not know why the \hsmash is there so this may break
something.