[dev-context] engine setting in context/texexec

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 16:14:41 CET 2007

> pdftex 1.40.1 sets engine=pdftex (not pdfetex), but texexec puts created
> formats into web2c/pdfetex, so they won't be found as soon as we have
> pdftex >= 1.40 around.

Indeed.  See the appended email from ntg-context.  I don't see how to
fix the problem, except for the symlink hack that I'm doing now.
Several solutions don't work:

1. Remove all traces of pdfetex etc. -- because parallel installations
   (e.g. tetex or texlive) might use an older pdf(e)tex and need to
   run pdfetex explicitly to get the extensions.

2. Put the formats in web2c/pdftex/ and pass --engine=pdftex to
   texexec, because it (last I tested) looks in web2c/pdfetex/ anyway.

So I haven't found anything better than symlinking web2c/pdftex ->
web2c/pdfetex.  TL2006 is oblivious to the symlink because it doesn't
use the $engine subpath.

TeX path searching is a nightmare!

-Sanjoy