[dev-context] TeXLive 2006
taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Dec 10 11:29:47 CET 2006
Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> I have good news as well as bad news.
> The good news is that the coming TeXLive will be nicely up to date
> when it comes to ConTeXt (currently at 2006.12.07).
In fact, I believe we should consider retracting ConTeXt from TeXLive
perminently (for TL2007, we have already made promises for TL2006).
Hans and I are continually asked to rename or delete things
- because the names conflict with some latex package (that is
invariably considered to be more inportant than ConTeXt), or
- because they allegedly duplicate already existing files
(that normally turns out to be false information afterward), or
- because some directory name is already pre-opted by LaTeX
(like where LaTeX font family support effectively disallows
ConTeXt support for that same family), or
- because something cannot be handled by the build scripts (that
nobody is willing to even allow changes to), or
- because they are considered to have an unacceptable license
(heaven/FSF forbid shipping files that cannot be altered by
everybody and their 4-year old child and then be redistributed
After a few years of this, I am completely demotivated, and I assume
Hans feels much the same way.
More information about the dev-context