[dev-context] Re: symb-uni.tex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Nov 24 17:23:35 CET 2004

Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Maybe the dev list is a better place for this follow-up.
>
> I'm trying to understand
> (a) what exactly the task is to create the maths vectors, and
> (b) what is really going on with the degree sign.
>
> Taking (b) first...
>
> Looking in unic-000.tex (the degree sign is #00B0 = char 176 in vector
> 0) I see two vector definitions. Does the second supersede the first or
> are both needed?

the second one is the fast alternative; i always keep the previous versions of
implementations for educational purposes; take whatever you like most, i can
change them afterwards

> Looking at the second vector definition, it starts at char 159 and so
> looking down to position 176 there appears to be the correct code -
> namely \textdegree. This presumably explains why it appears correctly in
> running text in my sample posted to the ConTeXt list. But why does it
> not work in the XMLdata section? Is it the case that there is another
> unicode processing system for data being processed as XML? Is this where
> the fix is required?

hm, aren't the math chars in another vector then?

> As to question (a) - for example what exactly should I put into, say
> unic-034.tex to denote #222A (character 42 in vector 34) as \cup? Do I
> need two \startunicodevector commands? Or do i just do
>
> \startunicodevector 34
>     \unknownchar    \or
>     ... [repeat 41 times] ...
>     \cup    \or
> \stopunicodevector

one option is to make a full vector (255 codes) with unknowns and to fill then
stepwise

the offset calculations are just optimizations