[dev-context] new web site

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Oct 3 09:21:46 CEST 2004

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:46:38 +0200
h h extern <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

Hi again,

> ok, i made the font a bit smaller now; i tested on a high res screen; i
> didn't want too wide lines, but i found out that setting
>
>    max-width: 60em
>
> works quite well (prevents too wide lines on a 1600x1200 full screen)

looks much better now.

> i'm thinking about an article for the maps about css versus tex -)
> interestingly th eeasierst thing, i.e. getting the page dimensions
> right, is the one bugged most; safari [kde based] is the worst

safari's engine originally tried to mimic all quirks from IE 4, 5 and
5.5 as well as NS 4.7x. So much so, that I still use kde's konqueror
to browse old IE-only sites: it's the only browser I have that displays
those pages reasonably. But it is steadily moving towards standards
(which actually makes it less usable for me), so newer version may
be better.

> can you mirror this ok? (there is a wget.txt file as well)

No problem.

Greetings, Taco