[dev-context] new web site

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Oct 2 21:33:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 08:32:56PM +0200, h h extern wrote:
> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>
> >1. What about just using relative font sizes?
>
> i tested al these things with different browsers; in only use three
> sizes (in px measures since they are supposed to be treated assuming 96
> dpi; which seems t be true for all browsers i tested); using a % would
> be nice, but each browser has a different opinion on how to deal with %
> at what level of <div>; actually, i'm really surprised that so many
> sites work at all (probably because of of dirty tricks or javascript
> based css]; safari was the worst: the navigation ended up way off screen
> ; i now use a system of more or less fixed sized combined with misusing
> padding/margins as compensation jumps
>
> [i spent a whole week playing with css and margins and percentages and
> ... what a mess; search the web for vertical alignment in css and you
> get pretty depressed]
>
> i now made the fonts a bit smaller (tuned for 1024x768; i was testing on
> 1600x1200; i keep playing with a way to find a good base size [window
> size dependent] and start from that;

These new sizes look more reasonable.

> >2. The site relies rather heavily on color for subdividing the
> >page. FireFox and other browsers have an option to enforce the
> >user's choice of colors. The page design doesn't hold up too well
> >with that option enabled.
>
> hm, i need to look into that; but isn't user defined coloring going to
> spoil about every site that uses colors?

Fact is, any time I visit a site with awkward colors I configure
my browser to use my own colors, and don't bother to change this
setting back until I am forced to. As long as I can decypher the
content I am happy.

But in this case, the difference in fontsize already helps to
offset the main area and therefore clarifies the layout.

> i will probably use different color combinations every few months -)
>

> [i now understand why some sites, like fontshop.be prefers macro media
> based sites, it gives more control and is browser independent]

Not browser independent; as far as I know, there is no flash
plugin for non-Intel Linux. Besides, some browsers are configured
not to allow flash or javascript or whatever even when available;
the less content needs to be processed, the faster the browsing.

Also, the reader may like some control over presentation: some
people like their browser to leave some screen space for other
windows and therefore want everything as small as possible; some
people have poor eyesight and want large font sizes.

--
Siep Kroonenberg