[dev-context] new web site

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Oct 2 11:35:21 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:25:29PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At http://www.pragma-ade.com:8069 you can find a preview of the new
> pragma web site. It works ok with firefox, kind of ok with opera, ok at
> the cost of some mess with internet explorer, not optimal with safari
> but ...
>
> ... the nice thing is that i now generate the whole lot from a small set
> of xml documents using xslt, so that i can more easily maintain the site
> + links; the next/previous buttons work as in pdf docs -)
>
> if you click the 'exa' link, you will get a few interfaces
>
> currently it runs on our old web server [some 500 mhz celeron machine];
> in a couple of week it will run on one of our new web servers (2.2 gig
> 64 bit opterons)
>
> i cross my fingers that the webrick based http server (ruby) can handle
> things (i'll run the webpages on apache as well)
>
> Hans

Pretty nice; a great improvement in terms of navigation. Two
comments, though:

1. What about just using relative font sizes?

2. The site relies rather heavily on color for subdividing the
page. FireFox and other browsers have an option to enforce the
user's choice of colors. The page design doesn't hold up too well
with that option enabled.

--
Siep Kroonenberg