[dev-context] new web site

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Oct 2 09:41:47 CEST 2004

Hi Hans,

I just went there and had a look around. I like the look of
the new site, but of course I have comments. Then again, I assume
that is why it was on dev-context in the first place :)

Here we go:

- Assuming most of the CSS is 'frozen', you could move that into
  a separate style.css file and linking to that. It will save you
  on traffic and it makes it easier to use a different CSS file
  for IE (if desired). The best 'real' solution for IE and older
  browsers would (no doubt) be to use frames.

- In my browser (a galeon based on mozilla 1.4), the main download
  window and the 'documents and examples' window force a
  horizontal scrollbar to appear (the table is wider than it's
  allocated space). Will check with a newer browser on monday,
  but the problem will probably remain as long as there are
  table tags. 'position: absolute' and html tables do not blend
  well, is my experience.

- The 'pod' login page is a bit different from the rest, I assume
  that is on purpose, but I thought I'd better ask j.i.k.

- it would be nice if it was clear from the outset that the
  'showcase' is a pdf file. Or perhaps make it pop up a window
  of it's own? It destroys the layout which is a pity.

- the 'next-previous' buttons give no visual indication of how
  'large' the loop is nor on what page of the loop you are,
  and I miss that. Perhaps a color-bar as in some of the s-pre
  styles?

- Fianlly, all pages have the title "Generated page", which is
  correct but somewhat pointless.

Greetings and good luck,

Taco