[Aleph] Mem: Greek text

Javier Bezos jbezos at wanadoo.es
Wed Oct 6 11:37:45 CEST 2004

> My hope would have been that Mem can catch the points where the script
> changes by itself (in fact, this is one of my prerequisites for using
> Mem + Aleph). In the Unicode context, this would be quite possible,
> given that most characters have a script associated with them. Those
> few that don't (e. g. the numbers or most punctuation marks)
> assume the script property of the surrounding script.

This is my hope, too. In fact, I've already made some
experiments:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/jbezos/archive/selscript.zip

However, this feature is not among my priorities because
is not a critical one--in other words, if you can do it
by hand, I prefer to spend my time to fix thinks which
don't work properly (or just don't work, period). Anyway,
even so I've had sometimes problems to decide which script
to use if numbers are between two scripts. In a technical
document in Hebrew I had, with lots of numbers and Latin
text, there were cases where the script for numbers had to be
set by hand. While switching the script is not difficult
if all of them are either l-to-r or r-to-l, bidirectional
writing poses many problems which cannot be solved easily.

> \begin{quote}
> \begin{greek}
> Polytonic Greek quotation\end{greek}\footnote{German footnote, possibly with Greek words in them}
> \end{quote}
>
> then the text appears as Greek, though in monotonic style (i. e. most
> diacritics are suppressed). This is obviously also not what I want.

Now I'm working in a quick and dirty LGR encoding, so that
you can make experiments. And if you are able to make a
real document with Mem... ¡congratulations! :-)

Javier