[dev-context] A few questions

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Aug 7 14:33:23 CEST 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> there was a presentation about this ltx3 low level syntax and i definitely
>>> don't want to have something like that; it's more that in context we have
>>> this system of [optional]{whatever} that we might want to support
>> me neither, the latex3 system is too complicated and one has to remember
>> what n, N, x ... means etc.
> indeed, and also kind of redundant as the name should denote the usage, i.e.
> imagine that in e.g. lua we did  myfunction_takes_num_and_num
> i would not be surprised if it's also quite slow (esp when used in core code)
> and core code is not used by users anyway
>> there are a few interesting things like namespaces for module/macros but
>> that's not worth the effort they take
> indeed, but keep in mind that in context we seldom have other interfaces that
> [] and {}, no optoinal * etc

One good thing with LaTeX 3 syntax is that something like

\DeclareDocumentCommand\foo { o o m } will be (from what I understand)
equivalent to

When I started using context, I was surprised that context did not have
anything for optional arguments. We could have something like

to be equal to

to be equal to

and similar things for \definedoublearugment, \definetripleargument, etc.
I am not convinced that this is a good thing, but using something like
this in the core may result in a 10% reduction in the code size and might
kill a few dodos :)